If you are unhappy with the appearance of your smile, cosmetic dentistry may be the solution you are looking for. At Johnny Smith Dental, we provide a variety of cosmetic procedures on your teeth to give you the smile of your dreams. Here is everything you need to know to decide if cosmetic dentistry is the right choice for you.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
While general dentistry focuses on improving the health of your teeth, cosmetic dentistry enhances the appearance of your teeth. There are many procedures that are considered cosmetic dentistry and each one fixes different cosmetic problems. Because it is considered an elective procedure instead of a necessary one, cosmetic dentistry is usually not covered by insurance.
Types of Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry can fix many problems, from discoloration to misaligned teeth. Some common cosmetic dentistry procedures include:
• Veneers: Made of either resin or porcelain, veneers are thin shells that are custom made to fit securely over your teeth. They can be made to improve the color, size, and length of your teeth and are useful for repairing and replacing cracked or misshapen teeth.
• Whitening: By using specialized chemicals and bleach, your dentist can improve the appearance of your smile by turning your teeth from yellow to white.
• Implants: Implants replace missing teeth. By placing titanium roots into the gap caused by a missing tooth, this type of procedure gives you an even smile.
• Bonding: After your dentist applies a special putty to misshapen or cracked teeth, he or she will harden it with ultraviolet light and trim it until it is even with the rest of your teeth.
• Inlays and Onlays: Similar to dental crowns, inlays fit inside damaged teeth to hold them together and preserve as much healthy tooth as possible. Onlays fit snugly over cracked teeth for the same reason.
While cosmetic dentistry does not directly improve the health of your teeth, it does offer several benefits. The biggest advantage is the confidence you feel when you have a radiant smile you are proud of. Whether you are interviewing for a job, meeting new people or going on a first date, having a beautiful smile makes you feel better about yourself. Another benefit is that having even teeth makes it easier to clean them properly.
Who Is a Candidate?
Anyone with chipped, cracked, misshapen, or discolored teeth is a candidate for cosmetic dentistry. Depending on the amount of work needed, the cost for various procedures ranges from $300 to more than $4,000. Because insurance does not usually cover cosmetic dentistry, the cost may play a factor is which procedure you choose or how much work you have done.
Choosing a Cosmetic Dentist in Peoria
If you think cosmetic dentistry is right for you to improve the appearance of your teeth, there are a few things to take into consideration before choosing a dentist to perform the procedure. Any dentist is qualified to perform cosmetic procedures, but some hold special certifications that may make them better candidates. Before selecting a dentist for the procedure, ask for the following things:
• Proof of certifications or continuing education
• Patient references
• Before and after photos for treatments for other patients
If you are looking for an excellent cosmetic dentist in Peoria, Arizona, choose Johnny Smith Dental to enhance your smile. We offer a wide variety of cosmetic dentist services in Peoria, AZ. to give you the confident, beautiful smile you desire.